Meatless Monday, anyone?
We’ve been giving it a go for a few months in our house!
Being so immersed in the vegan fashion world, Anthony has become so much more conscious of a plant based lifestyle. He’s really helped us both be more aware and educate ourselves on better food choices. We are far from perfect, but we are learning to introduce small actions to make more conscious decisions!
Mondays are a busy scramble in this house and I’m pumped to serve a delicious plant-based alternate while saving time. Such a great hack for while we are trying to implement better habits!
Yves Veggie Ground Round comes in a variety of flavours and since I was adding a ton of flavour on my own – I used the Original Veggie Ground flavour in this recipe.
Truth: I’m always careful with my soy-based products, so I was pumped to learn their veggie grounds are all non-GMO and free of preservatives. A high in protein vegan meat, free of the bad stuff – yes please!
The best part it actually tastes SO good! Today I’ve shared my favourite recipe to date using Yves Veggie Cuisine Original Ground Round. These Asian Taco Lettuce Wraps are gluten-free, vegan and packed with flavour.
This recipe is so easy, and doesn’t even require any specialty ingredients like gluten-free hoisin sauce (which can be difficult to find). I’ve managed to avoid using hoisin by adding some extra soy sauce, a bit of honey (for fully vegan, use agave!), and a cornstarch thickener so the texture of the sauce is just right.
I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!
VEGAN ASIAN TACO LETTUCE WRAPS
- 1 Package of Yves Veggie Cuisine Original Ground Round
- 1/4 cup gluten free soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons honey (or agave for vegan version)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger (or 1 1/2 teaspoons ground)
- 2 fresh scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut or similar cooking oil.
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup shredded carrots or coleslaw mix
- 1 head Boston Lettuce (or large lettuce leaves of choice)
1. In a small mixing bowl, place about half of the soy sauce and the cornstarch, and whisk until smooth. Add the remaining soy sauce, rice vinegar, rice wine, sesame oil, honey and ginger, and whisk until well-combined. Add about three-quarters of the scallions, and mix to combine.
2. In a medium, heavy-bottom skillet or wok, heat 1 tablespoon of the cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the minced garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent.
3. Add the Yves Veggie Cuisine Original Ground Round, and cook, stirring to break it up into small pieces, Takes less than 3 minutes.
4. Add the soy sauce mixture, and mix to combine. Cook until the sauce begins to thicken (1 to 2 minutes).
5. Remove from the heat.
6. Take the separated leaves of Boston lettuce and spoon the Veggie Ground mixture into each as a cup.
7. Sprinkle with the remaining chopped scallions and shredded carrots.
8. Serve and ENJOY!
If you try this recipe, tag me on instagram stories or leave a comment below letting me know how you like it!
*This post was sponsored by Hain Celestial Canada, but all opinions are my own!