I tried a version of this salad at a restaurant last week and haven’t been able to get it off my mind. So I recreated it at home! And let’s be real – I could never whip up something so delicious (and gorgeous!) without sharing the love.
This salad is gluten, dairy and sugar free, vegan and so light and refreshing! You are going to love serving up this crowd pleaser at your next summer gathering. (Or eating all for yourself, like me!)
Avocado Grapefruit Summer Salad
(Makes 2 salad plate sized salads, double as needed)
- 1 Large Grapefruit, peeled and cut into segments
- 1 Ripe Avocado, pitted and thinly sliced as pictured
- 2-4 Tbsps Hummus
- 1/2 Cup Baby Spinach, thinly sliced. (Note I use scissors to cut mine to a shredded texture)
- 10-20 Fresh Cilantro Leaves, thinly sliced. (optional)
- 1/4 Cup Pistachios, salted and shelled. (Any nut would work!)
- 2 Tbsp Homemade Tahini Sauce (see recipe below)
1. Use 1-2 Tbsp of hummus and spread all over base of plate (as if you are saucing a pizza).
2. Sprinkle layer of shredded spinach.
3. Alternate laying segments of grapefruit and avocado in 2 rows until plate is covered (see picture above).
4. Top with fresh cilantro and pistachios.
5. Sprinkle tahini dressing on top.
6. Enjoy the most refreshing salad ever!
Note: You could add a grilled, sliced chicken breast, tofu or fish for a complete meal.
And don’t forget the delicious homemade dressing!
Homemade Tahini Dressing
- 1 Cup Sesame Seed Butter (Tahini)
- Juice of 2 Lemons
- 1 Tbsp of Organic Maple Syrup (optional)
- 1 tsp of Salt
- 2 Cloves of Garlic or 2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 5-6 Tbsp of Boiling Water
1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl (or blender if using real garlic).
2. Use hot water to thin to desired consistency.
3. Add more of any ingredients, to taste.
4. Store in fridge in air tight container.