🙋🏼♀️Anyone else been hit with the nasty bug going around?
If you follow me on Instagram stories you would have seen the highlights from one of my best friends bridal showers last week.
I’m the Maid of Honour and took my job of throwing a bad-ass shower pretty seriously (are you surprised?! ha).
The day was absolutely stunning and went off without a hitch. I’ll actually do a blog about all the sweet details soon!
What we were not able to control though, was that somehow a nasty cold/flu bug spread throughout the shower. We’ve counted over 15 people that were down for the count the week following the shower. Myself included!
I hadn’t been sick since after Anthony and I went to Tulum in 2013. Let’s just say this: A) I’m grateful I don’t get sick often, that was the WORST. B) I’m a huge baby. HA!
I’m not sure about you, but I crave childhood foods when I am sick. Toast with peanut butter, gingerale and most of all chicken noodle soup from a box. You know the one that comes in a pouch and likely has zero healing properties other than the fact that it’s warm? LOL. Ya, we all had it in the 80’s and 90’s! And I still go straight back to being a kid when I’m sick and it’s all that I want.
Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I’m gluten-free because of my hashimoto’s disease and so I wasn’t able to give into my nostalgic childhood cravings.
I did however make an amazing homemade chicken noodle soup, that is gluten-free and super nourishing to boot!
It’s loaded with veggies and herbs that boost your immune system and also tastes just as good, if not better, than the classic.
GLUTEN-FREE CHICKEN NOOLE SOUP
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter (Earth balance, ghee, or coconut oil for dairy free)
- 2-3 carrots, peeled then sliced. (Note: I only had organic baby carrots on hand. I sliced about 10-15.)
- 2-3 stalk celery, sliced
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped. (Note: this borderline feels like too much. It adds lots of flavour and isn’t once it’s cooked down.)
- salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp each of dried parsley, garlic powder, onion powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli pepper flakes (Note: optional. Leave out if serving to kids.)
- 8 cups or 2 x 1 litre boxes of chicken broth
- 1 chicken breast, chopped into bite-sized pieces. (Note: optional I wanted to keep it more classic and have no meat, just veggie and noodles. For a more filling meal, add chicken.)
- 1.5 cups gluten-free spaghetti, broken into small pieces
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and heat until caramelized and tender.
- Add carrots, celery, season with salt and pepper, and then saute until slightly tender, 5-8 minutes.
- Add garlic then sauté for 1 more minute.
- Add chicken broth, all seasoning and spices and then bring to a boil.
- In a separate pot, boil already broken pasta pieces. Cook 1-2 minutes less than instructions leaving them cooked, but al dente. Drain and store in air-tight glass container.
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper then add to boiling soup pot.
- Turn heat down to medium then simmer, stirring occasionally. Taste then adjust salt and pepper if necessary.
- Add desired amount of cooked pasta (Keeping it serperate keeps noodles from absorbing all soup and getting soggy.
- Store left over soup and noodles in fridge, separately. Reheat on stove stop and add desired amount of noodles as you have each serving.
- Enjoy and feel better!