When summertime rolls around, I always find myself looking for easy recipes to whip up for weeknight dinners.
This Chicken Avocado BLT Salad is one of my favourites! Aside from this being a super easy meal, salads are always a go to option of mine. They are quick and healthy. Plus this salad in particular is fantastic for when you feel like an indulgent meal, that’s still not too heavy.
I love to have pre-cooked protein in the fridge for the week too, so the cooking time is really just the bacon! With chopping and cooking this meal can be ready in 10 minutes if you have pre-cooked chicken on hand.
If you don’t it will take about 30-35 minutes – but there’s also nothing like fresh off the BBQ grilled chicken. So I say, either way it’s a win-win!
Since I typically use pre-cooked chicken, I will warm it in a pan with coconut oil and some franks red hot. Keeps it moist, adds tons of flavour and kind of gives it a buffalo-chicken vibe.
Note: Are you a vegan? Replace chicken & bacon with a smoky favoured tofu and make it really crispy! Would be fantastic.
The ingredients are super easy, too. Really it’s all in the name.
CHICKEN AVOCADO BLT SALAD
(makes 2 salads)
- 2 (or more) Cups of Greens of your choice. (Romaine is a great choice. I used spinach in this photo)
- 10-12 Organic Cherry Tomatoes (Sliced into tiny slices)
- 1 Whole Avocado
- 1-2 Chicken Breasts (Seasoned and cooked however you like!)
- 5 slices of Bacon (Halved into 10 smaller pieces and cooked until crispy.)
- Chili Flakes
- Dressing of your choice (I give a couple suggestions below)
1. Divide fresh produce ingredients evenly between 2 bowls. (I like to put greens in first, toss those in the dressing, and then layer all the other ingredients beautifully on top as shown above).
2. OPTIONAL: Sprinkle avocado & cherry tomatoes with pepper and chilli flakes.
3. Add sliced chicken and bacon on top. (Tip: If you’re using pre-cooked chicken, re-heat it in a pan with a tbsp of coconut oil and franks red hot – gives it a buffalo chicken vibe and keeps it juicy!)
Since I try to be dairy-free as much as possible – I like to make my own if I can.
This one I found on Pinterest was really good: Easy Vegan Ranch Dressing
Lately I’ve been loving this brand called Raw Foodz. They have a dairy free ranch that is great! So if you aren’t down with making your own dressing, I’ve found this at Sobey’s or check out their website to see where else they are sold.