Winter time is notorious for drying out our skin, hair and nails. This winter in particular with the drastic temperature changes here in Toronto, my skin has been craving some extra love!
I’m super particular about what I put on my skin, especially my face. For me less is more. I know that isn’t always the case for everyone, as we all have unique skin types. But for me personally, expensive cleansing regimes make my skin wig out. I’ve always used natural ingredients like coconut oil to remove make-up and wash my face. I’m a sucker for a great moisturizer though. That is definitely something I’ll always invest in!
But when moisturizer just won’t cut it, I’m sharing my favourite Homemade Skin & Body Scrubs for you.
If your skin is feeling flakey, dry, tight or in need of some hydration, these will give it some lovin’ – no expensive new products needed! Just everyday items you will already have in the house. I like to use organic items when possible as our skin is our largest organ and absorbs the most amount of toxins. (Another great reason to use homemade products!)
Warning: When using scrubs in shower, use plastic grip mat or proceed with caution. Coconut oil makes tub slippery.
1. Mix both the sugar and the oil together in a small bowl.
2. I like to use line in the shower to avoid a mess. You can do over the sink as well.
3. Using your fingers cover face and neck in mask and rub in lightly in a circular motion.
4. Rinse off.
5. Face will still feel lightly coated in coconut oil. This will absorb in quickly and leave you feeling extra hydrated.
– 3 Tbsp. Organic Coconut Oil (room temperature)
– 2 Tbsp. Coffee Grounds (used grounds are fine, I take mine out of the espresso maker.)
– 2-4 drops of skin safe essential oil. I use Tea tree or Lavender. (this is optional, coffee alone smells great!)
1. Mix all ingredients together in a small jar. One that comes with a lid would be great as you can store the leftovers.
2. Use scrub in shower. Warning: Use plastic grip mat or proceed with caution. Coconut oil makes tub slippery.
3. Using your hands, cover body in mask and rub in lightly in a circular motion.
4. Rinse off.
5. Body will still feel lightly coated in coconut oil. This will absorb in quickly and leave you feeling extra hydrated.
OTHER WAYS TO HYDRATE SKIN
– Drink plenty of water
– Include hydrating foods like fruit and vegetables in your diet
– Use coconut oil as a moisturizer
– Take fish oils
– Eat healthy fats like avocado and nuts
Happy Hydrating! ?