?Trendy Superfood Alert:
What’s yellow, spicy, stains everything and is super healing and anti-inflammatory?
If you are into health and wellness, you’ve seen this everywhere lately. I’m going to give you the 411 on this potent herb: telling you why it’s so good for you and how to use it!
Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory herb that’s been used for centuries to treat a variety of ailments and inflammation in the body. Although it has been around for centuries, turmeric has gained much popularity recently as it’s currently the most scientifically studied herb for it’s disease-fighting potential and preventive health benefits.
Anything that is a super-food against inflammation (especially for those of us with auto-immune disease!), that kicks free-radical-butt, boosts my immune system and eases joint pain is welcome in my diet!
Yours too? I thought so.
Here is how I incorporate turmeric into my diet
As I mentioned it’s a pretty messy food to cook with, it stains cutting boards and hands – beware!
For this reason I typically add it to beverages instead of making a mess cooking with it.
My Morning Smoothie
My morning ritual is typically always the same:
Lemon water, move my body, meditate, smoothie!
- 1/2 cup frozen mango or berries
- 1/2 a banana
- handful of greens
- 1/2 tbsp. coconut oil or nut butter
- 1 scoop vegan protein powder
- 1 inch chunk of fresh turmeric or 1 tsp of 100% organic powdered turmeric
- 1 cup almond or coconut milk
Put all ingredients in blender.
Blend & enjoy!
Golden Milk Turmeric Latte
This is such an amazing anti-inflammatory alternative to your afternoon coffee! I especially love these on a rainy day. So warming and healthy.
- 2 cups organic non-dairy milk (I use unsweetened coconut)
- 1 inch chunk of fresh turmeric (optional)
- 1 tsp of 100% organic powdered turmeric
- 1/2 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1-2 tsp.raw honey
- dash of black pepper (helps with absorption!)
- 1/2 inch chunk of ginger root
- Heat all ingredients on med heat for 3-5 mins. Do not boil.
Cinnamon and Turmeric powders should fully dissolve.
- Remove or strain from ginger chunks.
- Optional: add 1/2 tsp of organic coconut oil to mug.
- Pour hot beverage into mug.
How do you use this golden super food? I’d love to hear in the comments below! ?
WANT MORE HEALTH?
ROUTINE QUEEN: WHAT I TAKE EVERY MORNING
MY HASHIMOTO’S STORY
SPRING DETOX: HOW TO CLEANSE YOUR BODY WITHOUT BEING EXTREME