My mother-in-law calls me a hippy, but I’m cool with it! ?♀️
Cleansing the energy in my home has become a ritual I can’t live without.
For thousands of years, cultures around the world have believed that a person’s energy is like perfume—once you come in contact with someone else’s vibes, good or bad, they tend to linger for a while.
Some may feel it looks too unsafe or too complicated to be practiced often. But I promise this is not true!
Using sage (aka smudging) is not complicated, not hard and totally safe when you follow my very simple steps.
Smudging your space, home or office, or even your body with sage is like taking an energetic shower, or doing a deep metaphysical cleansing. The smoke from dried sage actually changes the ionic composition of the air, and can have a direct effect on reducing our stress response.
When I was younger my mother used to sage her bedroom and I thought it was weird. But now, as an adult – I totally get it!
As an empath and highly sensitive person, I’ve found sage to be a game changer in my happiness, productivity and focus. Honestly, I can’t go a day without saging my space. I even do it between clients to not bring the energy from one client to another.
I truly feel happier, lighter and more clear minded after smudging.
It may feel weird at first, but if you have a job, home or lifestyle that has you constantly around others – I promise you that you are taking on their energies. When you come home and feel totally drained, that is no coincidence!
Other times you may be taking on the energy of others, or releasing energy of your own that no longer serve you could be in these cases:
- When you move into a new living space
- When you begin a new job or start your own business
- Before and after a guest enters your home or office
- Before and after a yoga or healing session
- Before meditation
- After an argument or any illness
- Upon returning home from crowded situations
If you feel called to sage after any of these, use my simple steps below and give it a try!
HOW TO USE SAGE
Get Your Supplies for Smudging
Here are the main supplies you will need in order to smudge your house:
1. Sage stick – I typically get mine online from Amazon. Get some, here.
2. Palo Santo stick – I typically get mine online from Amazon. Get some, here. This is optional!
2. Matches or a lighter.
3. A fireproof ceramic bowl or dish.
1. Open a window or screened door to allow the bad energies to leave as they are being saged away.
2. Light the sage with the matches or lighter.
3. Once you have a good smoke going, hold the smudge stick over the fireproof container at all times in order to avoid any lit herbs falling on the floor. (I totally burnt my carpet by not following this! Lesson learned.)
4. Walk clockwise around your home, making sure to smudge every corner, including closets.
5. Don’t worry about your house getting too smoky because it can easily escape out the open doors and windows, taking the bad energy with it.
Now, take some smoking sage in the dish bring it over your heart, keeping the intention to clear your energy. Then
bring some smoke over your eyes, your third eye and your head.
Continue the process with your throat, solar plexus, sacral and root chakras, and finally your legs and feet (including the soles of your feet).
As you smudge, visualise yourself being surrounded by gentle, loving energy.
Breathe in positivity, courage and love.
Connecting with each smudged area and the feelings you wish to release or attract will empower your ritual (i.e: letting go of self abuse and bringing empowerment while smudging your solar plexus, or releasing grief and calling for unconditional love while smudging your heart).
Seal with Palo Santo, if you wish!
Now that your space is clear, it’s time to fill it with beautiful positive energy, which is where the sacred Palo Santo comes in. Used for thousands of years, this ancient healing wood is known to bestow blessings of love and light.
Unlike Sage, which burns very easily, you must continue to blow on the pieces of wood.
Light Palo Santo and walk around your home to bring in the blessings of angels to bless your space with positive energy.
I always like to ‘seal it with Palo Santo’ – I’m not sure why. I think it’s because I love the smell and feel like I’m sealing my cleaning with some good energy!
I hope you give this a try and enjoy it as much as I do.
Wishing your home, office and body HIGH VIBES ONLY! ✌️
WANT MORE WELLNESS?
HOW TO KICK A COLD IN 48 HOURS OR LESS
SKIN NEED SOME LOVE? TRY MY HOMEMADE SCRUBS!
ANXIOUS? TRY THIS BEGINNER MEDITATION